Sunday, June 26, 2016

Week #70 - Meetings, Rain and Father's Day

This week wasn't quite as productive as the last, maybe because we lost quite a bit of time to meetings. I had an interview with the mission president at the stake center on Tuesday, Wednesday was our weekly planning, Thursday was Zone Conference ... nothing on Friday, so that was our best day. 

Tuesday after my interview, it was a downpour! It was NUTS. We wanted to wait it out, but we didn't have that option. Within seconds of leaving the stake center, we were soaking wet. So that was super fun ;)  The Zone Conference was probably the highlight of the week. One of the topics was marriage. Not for US missionaries of course, but for investigators, as living in a "free union" is common here in Mexico. If we can help investigators who are living together get married, baptisms would easily double! Especially for us (as I'll outline below). Sunday, we were only expecting two investigators to come, but we had a surprise of two others. That was pretty awesome.

To give a little update on the people we are working with. Gabriela is doing great. She is excited, we are excited and the whole ward is excited for her baptism coming up on Saturday. Evsevia accepted a baptismal date for the 23rd of July. We didn't get to see her this week, and she didn't make it to church though. Omar and Marisol are also doing well. We are hoping the 23 of July will also be a date they get married! As soon as that happens, Omar can be baptized. Another person to mention is Elizabeth, a young mother of two adorable little girls (ages 6 and 4). Right now she and her "husband" (they aren't married either) are living with her in-laws who are members. Elizabeth is desperately seeking, but scared to come to church. 

Happy Father's Day back home! Feliz dra de Padre! Here in Mexico we've seen too many families and children with no father present. I know I have been blessed to have my father in my life. He is one of the greatest teachers and mentors I have ever known. I know I wouldn't be who I am today without my father.




*** Between Brothers ***

Dear Landon, this week Cal and I are gonna be in Dixie! We leave tomorrow at 6:30 in the morning. It's going to be really hot all week long too. Like 110! Yesterday Shane and Alicia and the Jensen family came over to see the duckies, and today we're going to the annual Father's Day party at Scott and Amy's. This morning I drove on the roads for the first time. It was really easy because no one was out. It was like a 30 minute drive and I went on 3 freeways. The freeways weren't hard at all. The only thing that I still kinda struggle with is overturning. I usually turn too fast and everything in the car gets yanked. So yeah... Wuv, Keat

Dear Landon, The Finals has taken an unexpected turn and it is going into Game 7 at Oakland. The Cavs were facing elimination, and they did what they had to do and won two straight. And in both of those games, LeBron stepped up and got 41 points, not just one game, but two. He is leading every player in every stat in The Finals right now which means even if they lose, he still deserves Finals MVP. And a lot more basketball at the church. I'm wanting to learn more drills to do there,because it is fun to do them. I learned something in which you hold a tennis ball/racquetball in one hand and bounce a basketball in the other. While dropping the small ball, you do a dribble move and catch the small one before touching the ground, because you don't want it to bounce more than once. It's kind of complicated, but I caught on quickly. And I have been doing more drills involving dribbling two balls, which I think is fun to do, and helps with your ball-handling. Colton and I have been playing on the tramp a lot lately doing the ten-second game. It's basically like the five-second game in the living room that I've told you about, but on the tramp. It's so much more fun too, because we can dunk and block so much more. And I always posterize him and give him a dirty look after because it's funny. And he always trash talks me like he owns the game, but I will just swat him and he will forget about what he said and be scared of me.      Love, Cooper

Dear Landon, well we just finished watching the Game 7 of the finals and surprisingly Cavs pulled it off. They came back from a 3-1 lead and won game 7 by four points! Cooper keeps on joking that all of the Golden State fans are going to turn into Cleveland fans. Kyrie hit a clutch three with a minute left for the lead. When they got ball back, Kyrie fed Lebron for a dunk that he got fouled hard and hurt his shooting hand. He made only one of the free throws but still won the biggest game of his life. Cooper and I have been playing a lot on the tramp and doing fun things. Today I blocked him a lot but he is still much better than me. I really don't have much to say this week because nothing big happened besides the finals and that is the thing I really wanted to tell you about. Anyway, love you man!            ColtBolt

  • Dear Keaton: Ah, Dixie, I'm sure basketball camp will be fun, but 110°? Be careful! You guys can be cooked alive at that temperature! I can't believe Dad took you driving on roads already. It's pretty cool behind the wheel huh? It will be weird for me to drive again when I get back, as I haven't driven for two years! Maybe I'll be as bad as you!
  • Dear Cooper: Wow, I had completely forgotten the status of the finals! I just remember when it was 3-1 and thinking "Oh yea, Golden State's gonna take it" but boy was I wrong! Sounds like LeBron REALLY wanted another ring. Mom has mentioned all your practicing and drills, you are going to be a wicked-sick dribbler with mad skills! You guys and your games, they're sure silly, just don't let it get too intense!
  • Dear Colton: I've heard a lot about the finals! Pretty crazy right? You know, I'd almost forgotten we even had a trampoline at home. It's good that you boys are using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment